The Difference Between The Right And Left Side Of The Brain And What Happens When They Cannot Communicate

The human brain is an amazing thing. Doubtlessly, you have heard someone described as “right brained” or “left brained” at least once in your life. Psychologists accentuate the difference between the left hemisphere and the right hemisphere of the brain, describing the left brain as logical, rational, analytical and objective. The right brain is the “creative” side, associated with aesthetics, feelings, intuition, and subjectivity. In reality, the differences between the right brain and the left brain might be exaggerated in popular culture, however there still are some key differences between the two.

The left brain specializes in language functions like grammar, vocabulary, speaking and writing. The right brain is sometimes referred to as the “mute side of the brain,” excelling at nonverbal and spatial tasks, being linked to artistic ability and facial perception.

Some evidence suggests that the left hemisphere is involved most when it comes to well rehearsed or routine processing, and the right hemisphere comes into play when it comes to processing novel situations. The left hemisphere controls the right side of the body, and the right hemisphere controls the left side. But many simple tasks require both hemispheres to be involved, and therefore communication between the two is necessary.

This is where the corpus callosum comes into the situation. It ties the two hemispheres together and makes coordination and communication between the two possible. The corpus callosum lies along the fissure between the right and left brain and is responsible for transferring different types of information from one side to the next.

At times, though, a procedure named corpus callosotomy is necessary, generally a last resort to treat intractable epilepsy. This surgery results in the corpus callosum being severed to a certain degree. At first, doctors will only try to remove one third of the corpus callosum, but if epileptic seizures persist, another one third will be lesioned, leaving only one third of the corpus callosum, and most information transfer between the two hemispheres greatly reduced. To be continued in part two….

Mallory Megan works for Rapid Recovery Solution and writes articles on medical collection agencies.

water …
human brain
Image by Ðenise
in any form, facinates me [love this sink too].

Between earth and earth’s atmosphere, the amount of water remains constant; there is never a drop more, never a drop less. This is a story of circular infinity, of a planet birthing itself. -Linda Hogan

Human beings are made up mostly of water, in roughly the same percentage as water is to the surface of the earth. Our tissues and membranes, our brains and hearts, our sweat and tears–all reflect the same recipe for life, in which efficient use is made of those ingredients available on the surface of the earth. We are 23 percent carbon, 2.6 percent nitrogen, 1.4 percent calcium, 1.1 percent phosphorous, with tiny amounts of roughly three dozen other elements. But above all we are oxygen (61 percent) and hydrogen (10 percent), fused together in the unique molecular combination known as water, which makes up 71 percent of the human body. – Al Gore, Earth in the Balance

More Human Brain Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *